Our judging panel was unanimous in its support, commenting that:
- Masai’s communication leadership stands out in the world of sports.
- His efforts have enhanced the impact of the Raptor’s brand on a global scale.
- He is an authentic communicator who has taken a principled stand on a number of issues such as the inclusion of women.
- He embraces difficult conversations and understands the role of communication in articulating his organization’s responsibility to the community and society.
This year, the first stage of the selection process was an online poll in which members and non-members were asked to vote for 12 nominees suggested by the Board and Past Presidents. Then a shortlist was given to a panel of judges for the final vote. The panel consisted of five senior communicators: Suzanna Cohen, ABC, CMP, Trell Huether, Jeanette Jones, ABC, Dan Tisch, APR, FCPRS and Janet Wile, ABC, APR.
Masai Ujiri will receive his COTY award at a special presentation ceremony and breakfast in the spring. Details on the date and location will be announced soon.
Each year, IABC/Toronto recognizes a leader from the Greater Toronto Area as its Communicator of the Year. Nominees in this program demonstrate exceptional leadership, management and communication skills. They are:
- a newsmaker or senior executive who has publicly represented their organization in the past year
- an inspiring speaker who can communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders
- someone who demonstrates multi-faceted communications skills and the ability to communicate their organization’s objectives and values
Past COTY Recipients:
Andy Byford, CEO, Toronto Transit Commission (2016)
Stefan Sjöstrand, President, IKEA Canada (2015)
- Alan Middleton, Executive Director, Schulich Executive Education Centre (SEEC) and Assistant Professor of Marketing, Schulich Business School at York University (2014)
- Ted Garrard, President and CEO, SickKids Foundation (2013)
- Jim Grieve, Assistant Deputy Minister, Ontario Ministry of Education (2012)
- Catherine Zahn, President and CEO of CAMH (2011)
- Peter Aceto, President and Chief Executive Officer of ING Direct (2010)
- Rob Devitt, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Toronto East General Hospital (2009)
- Philip Blake, President and CEO of Bayer Inc. (2008)
- Annette Verschuren, President of Home Depot Canada (2007)
- Mayor Hazel McCallion, City of Mississauga (2006)
- Malcolm Heins of Law Society of Upper Canada (2005)
- Wayne Fyffe of Credit Valley Hospital (2004)
- Edward Marra of Nestlé Canada (2003)
- David Booth of Compaq Canada Corp. (2002)
- Paul Tsaparis of Hewlett-Packard Canada (2001)
- Marguerite Jackson of the Toronto District School Board (2000)
- Rudy Riedl of Enbridge Consumers Gas (1999)
- Jeff Lozon of St. Michael’s Hospital (1998)
- Paul Lucas of Glaxo Wellcome Inc. (1997)