Website City of Toronto
Requisition # 2330153 X
Division Strategic Communications
Section Corporate Communications
Work Location CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W
Job Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Job Stream Communications & Protocol
Job Type Temporary, Full-Time
Temporary Duration 18.0 Months
Salary/Rate $36.69 – $40.19 / Hour
Hours of Work 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Affiliation L79 Full-time
Posting Date 14-Aug-2019
Expiry date 28-Aug-2019
- Provides research, guidance, and expertise on the City’s advertising strategies and direction
- Acting independently, researches, and contributes to the development of, the City’s advertising standards and protocols, and reports, as required
- Oversees the use of free advertising received from Astral Media as part of the City’s Street Furniture contract
- Advises City divisions on strategic placement of advertising in all media
- Drafts media plans in consultation with divisions
- Receives and processes the placement of non-statutory advertising for divisions
- Negotiates prices, discounts, and placement of advertising where required
- Advises divisions of costs, deadlines, and formats for various media as they change
- Ensures all divisions adhere to City policies, as applicable
- Provides divisions with estimates for advertising in all media, including broadcast, print, outdoor, social, online and new media
- Develops and manages social media advertising strategies; stays up to date on the latest social media best practices
- Stays current with City programs and policies, and Council direction for advertising campaigns
- Maintains working relationships with advertising agencies contracted by Division
- Maintains advertising contracts, consulting with the Purchasing and Materials Management Division, as required
- Maintains up-to-date information on advertising rates and specifications for all media
- Maintains database and clipping file of all advertising placed by the City of Toronto
- Analyzes campaign results and provides results to divisions
- Acting independently, identifies and researches emerging market trends, media supply availability, new marketing opportunities and competitive availability
- Monitors and resolves billing issues and discrepancies
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in communications, advertising, media studies or other related disciplines, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in advertising coordination or media buying in an agency environment or in a major public or private sector organization.
- Experience in, and a thorough knowledge of, communications planning practices.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of the Toronto media market and ability to prepare plans that utilize the most effective media channels, including broadcast, print, web, social, online and new media to reach target audiences.
- Knowledge of communications measurement techniques as they relate to advertising and the ability to track data and prepare reports to monitor and analyze results.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, professional communications techniques and practices, and social marketing, including planning, broadcast, and print production, materials development, advertising and media relations, and production processes for advertising and print production.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships, working with teams in a collaborative manner, with the ability to work effectively with all staff levels, media representatives, external suppliers, and elected officials.
- Excellent multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills, including attention to details, and ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities & work demands.
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets and manage outside suppliers and contractors, including negotiating with media salespeople to obtain the most suitable placement at the best rates.
- Excellent oral communication, presentation, and writing skills.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts, and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Advertising Coordinator within our Strategic Communications Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2330153 X, by August 28, 2019.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion:
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
If you are an individual who requires an accommodation to apply to this position, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job ID #2330153 X and the job title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.
To apply for this job please visit www.toronto.ca.